Sunday, August 2, 2009

EDTC Module 5 Post

Last week, I wondered how life might be different if I "unplugged" for a week.

Well, "LIFE" sort of let me try that out. After the wireless modem at my house experienced a mechanical failure, I found myself without internet at my home, all week long. To do my homework and access my online classes, I've had to work in cafes with wi-fi. This has had an interesting effect: I no longer am able to spend a half hour in the morning on facebook, nor an hour or two at night-- instead, I'm reading. Or spending time with people. Or sleeping. I have to be more focused and productive when I DO have access to the internet-- certainly not a bad thing. And furthermore, it's made my internet time-- which is usually a solitary event-- a social activity. I've made friends with some of the baristas at this cafe I've been going to; I interact with others when moving in and out of my seat, or plugging in my powercord. I work alongside other people, and am getting stimulated by the "outside" world, just as much as I receive stimulation from the "internet" world.

It hasn't been a bad thing!

It's still frustrating to have to drive somewhere just to check my email, and I haven't been able to send the same sort of regular communications to friends that I would if I WERE regularly accessing a social networking site like facebook. It's also a lot more expensive, since cafe time requires at least ONE coffee drink, and more often some food to go with.

Still-- I think it's been healthy to have a forced break! Oh, life. You silly thing, you.

On another note, I have the luxury of planning curriculum for next year after getting a job this last week (!!!) and have been planning class sites, class blogs, and perhaps a wiki component to go with. Clearly, this class has made an impact on me!

No comments: